facebook twitter pinterest instagram bloglovin
 photo toppost.png

Pages

Monday 23 March 2015

Mommy Monday - A Catch Up

Hey Hey!
 
Apologies for the lack of posts over the last week, life has been a bit all over the place! I have lots of posts planned for the coming weeks but thought I would use today to have a little catch up, a kind of week in review I guess!
 
Friday 13th March
I spent the day in the hair salon! I'm a natural red head, but after years and years of incessant bullying as a child I began colouring my hair when I was in my early teens, it has stayed that way, only varying in intensity, and maybe adding a flash of colour over the past year. I have started to notice over the past few months, especially since I turned 30 that, as I also have the colouring of a red head, the dark hair was doing me no favours, I look washed out and pale, and If I left the house without foundation, blusher and bronzer on I'd be asked if I was poorly! I think it was particularly aging as well, my trusted stylist of around 4 years, Fran agreed, and we decided to strip the dark brown, almost black out and apply a colour more forgiving!
I wont lie, I was so nervous about leaving the dark behind, such a silly thing to be worried about I know! But I trust Fran completely, she knows me fairly well when it comes to my hair now and I know she wouldn't do anything I would hate......didn't stop me not wanting to look in the mirror while the colour developed though!
In the end, after over 4 hours, I was, and still am in love with the end result! The colour isn't overly bright, and definitely not close to my natural colour, it's a beautiful red toned copper, I'm in love!



I could instantly see a change in my colouring, it was amazing and I left the salon feeling so glam! I am 100% sure i will not be heading back to the dark side again any time soon!
A subtle but gorgeous change!
 
Sunday 15th March
Mothers day and also the day my husband, Steve, ran his first competitive half marathon in aid of the Stroke Association.
A day that really didn't go to plan, and scared the bajebus out of me!
Steve made a great start in the race, he passed me at around the five mile mark and looked amazing, his pace had been good and he was at that point in the top 50/60 of nearly 1000 people, I cried with pride as he passed me looking so strong and confident!


My family and I made our way into town and closer to the finish line to get something to warm us up, it was freezing and sustenance was needed! Eventually we arrived at the finish line ready to welcome him home, I was such an emotional mess, I literally felt like I could burst with pride! Just after 1hr45 our friend crossed the finish line, I thought at this point Steve shouldn't be far behind.....after nearly 10 minutes had passed my stomach sank and I instinctively knew something was wrong, Steve is a strong runner and I knew he had the ability and should have crossed the line already, even if he was struggling on that day he's a stubborn sod and will push himself to do better, the fact that he was running this race after having an upper respiratory infection all week says it all! It was then that I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see our friend looking worried, Steve had collapsed and was in an ambulance. Then something so rare happened....I ran! Ha! I don't think I have ever moved so fast, running in the opposite direction of the Marathon runners to get to him. When I arrived the paramedics wouldn't let me the ambulance and I was met with people telling me he was exhausted, it didn't make sense, I knew he could run that distance with ease, my intuition after 13 years of loving that man told me something else was going on.
I was finally allowed into the ambulance after around 10 minutes. I was met with my strong man, the guy I always refer to as my protector and super hero, covered in vomit, as was the ambulance and paramedic! He was grey, soaked in his own sweat that was still pouring off him and on oxygen. He could barely speak and when he did it made no sense, the paramedics suspected a heart attack as he complained of a tingling sensation in his left arm, my heart broke in that few minutes, I honestly felt as though I was going to lose my one and only, my constant. I thank god daily that his 12 lead was clear, his heart was strong and healthy, but he was dangerously close to seizure. It was discovered that the glucose gels Steve had used had utterly messed with his body, his blood sugar had dropped like a brick and he was seriously dehydrated. After two hours of treatment he began to come back to me. In the days after we were filled in by people who had seen Steve in the minutes before he became unconscious, even receiving a card from someone who had tried to help carry him to the finish line! He had been dangerously poorly for the last 3 miles of the race but pushed himself to and beyond his limits.
Once Steve was stable I spoke with the organiser of the race as I at least wanted to get him a medal, he had worked so hard and raised over £500. It was decided that as he was just yards from the finish he was a finisher, he had covered the distance and was placed in the top 470 and given a finish time of 1hr58 along with his first medal.
I honestly couldn't be more proud of him, he is a true star.
 
The following days were spent quietly at home, I came down with an awful head cold and felt rotten all week, hence no posts on All About Jemma.....I did go along to parents evening at the boys school, another proud mummy moment, they are both progressing well and very clever little chickens!
 
I'm back and feeling good so will be bugging you all with lots of my ramblings! Steve is ready to get back into training and will hopefully take part in another competitive run soon!
 
Check back tomorrow for a look at my March Glossybox, it's Spring inspired and really quite a lovely box of treats!
 
Until then enjoy the start of your week!
 
Much Love
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme